There are so many amazing towns in this world that we know so little about. But they are true gems and worthy to be discovered! Here are the top 7 things to do in New Bern North Carolina shared by a local – Tammy Staley from Mid-Life Milestones.
The Top 7 Things to Do in New Bern North Carolina
Are you looking for a quite little town to spend a relaxing summer vacation? Do you want to stay away from the large tourist destinations? I suggest you look into New Bern North Carolina! This is a town where the locals want to get to know you. They love to set and chat about their lovely little town. Just ask them what to see and do and they will point you in the right direction. This town has a something for everyone and a lot of everything. Here’s a list of a few to get you started!
1. Governor Tryon Palace – This is a real piece of history, built as the first state capitol building it had all the bells and whistle for its time. When you visit you take a step back in time to the late 1800’s and see how life would have been. Well worth the visit if you ask me.
2. Pepsi Cola Store – New Bern is lucky enough to have the claim to fame as the birth place of Pepsi cola. Originally Brad’s drink you can visit the store and get yourself a real fountain drink.
3. Neuse River Tour – This small town offers some great attractions one of those being Cruise the Neuse Boat Tours. They offer three day tours and one sunset tour each cruise is a one and half hours long. They offer you a relaxing way to see New Bern and the surrounding area. The day tours run $30 per person and only $5 more for the sunset cruise.
4. North Carolina Barbeque – This one is not a destination but it should be! You just don’t go to North Carolina and not get some barbeque. They have the best out of every where I have ever been. There is also no shortage of places that sell barbeque, if you want the best ask a local and they will point you to the right place.
5. Union Point Park – Right on the river and just east of downtown this park offers you a place to rest after walking downtown. Grab a spot on a bench and enjoy the breeze coming off the river. There is a great playground for the kids and a boat launch if you want to get on the water. Check out the glorious gazebo, the shaded areas all along the river front and all the walkways to explore.
6. Civil War Battlefield Park – In commemoration of the battle of New Bern during the civil war this park offers you a chance to walk the same paths that both union and confederate soldiers trod. Covering over 30 acres of undeveloped woods you can explore the whole battle site.
7. New Bern Scavenger Hunt – Now this is a unique activity that I have not seen anywhere else. Throughout the town there is 30 bear statues all painted by local artist to represent local businesses. This one is great for the kids, have them keep their eyes peeled for the bears! Can you find all 30, I didn’t!